The staph infection is caused by the bacterium named Staphylococcus aurous, people usually get this infection and the common case is staph infection in nose or other skin. It belongs to a group of bacteria called Staphylococcus. Amongst the group of 30 Staphylococci it is mostly the Staphylococcus aurous which causes infections in humans such as boils, impetigo, food poisoning, cellulitis, toxic shock syndrome, scalded skin syndrome and mastitis.
Such infections can affect almost anyone but there are some people who are vulnerable to this bacterial infection. Such people include:
- Lactating women
- Newly born babies
- People suffering from chronic ailments such as diabetes, vascular disease, cancer, lung problems, intravenous catheters and surgical incisions.
- People who suffer from a weak immune system.
The staph bacteria may be present in the nasal chambers, groin and the rectum of healthy people too. This bacterial colonization is harmless and does not create any health problems. However, in certain cases the skin, which is resistant to such germs gets ruptured by cuts, abrasions, bruises etc. This gives a byway to the prowling bacteria which need a breeding ground. Once they enter into the skin they get favorable conditions for multiplying and start an infection.
The cause of staph infection:
- Eating food which has been contaminated with toxins produced by the bacterium, Staphylococcus aurous.
- Not keeping a safe distance with those people who have been infected by the staph bacteria.
- Not using low- absorbency tampons during menstruation by women and not changing them frequently.
- Not taking adequate care to prepare and handle food with clean hands.
- Keeping cuts and wounds open and not disinfecting them with an anti-bacterial lotion.
- Not keeping ones facial skin well scrubbed.
- Sitting for prolonged hours without taking a break in between.
- Wearing skin fitted cloth and fabrics which do not absorb sweat.
- Not taking a well balanced diet. Without the required vitamins and minerals the body’s immune system gets weakened.
- Living in unhygienic and crowded conditions.
- Cutting hair too close to the skin which results in ingrown hair which brings about a staph infection.
- Exposing one’s skin to dust and dirt.
- Using perfumed soaps instead of an anti-bacterial one.
The causes of staph infections which bring about drastic consequences are as follows:
- Biting of lips with a boil nearby.
- Squeezing of boils can spread the infection internally to some organ or the blood.
- Not paying heed to the boil which shows no signs of recovery even after a couple of weeks.
- Not getting a bacterial culture done to ascertain who the carrier of the staph bacteria is, in case the infection spreads within a family. Lack of proper diagnosis and timely treatment can have serious consequences.
The Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aurous, better known as MRSA, is a type of bacterium that is resistant to the antibiotic methicillin and some other drugs in this category. The diagnosis of this MRSA is necessary to control the spread of the infection. Once the tests determine the severity of the MRSA infection, the most suitable antibiotic treatment is given to the patients. MRSA infections can be treated with topical, oral, or intravenous antibiotics, depending upon the severity of infection.